Pulmonary Therapy

Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Medications and Treatments for ALS and other ALS topics.

I have heard I will develop problems with breathing. Which type of doctor do I see?

Pulmonary Therapy

The muscles that control breathing are innervated by motor nerves and when they cease to function, there will be problems controlling breathing. A pulmonologist will be able to evaluate the breathing capacity of a person with ALS and suggest ways to help with breathing such as a tracheotomy and/or respirator. ALS sufferers with a history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or asthma will benefit tremendously by seeing a pulmonologist.



Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.


URL: (optional)


Not finding the advice and tips you need on this ALS Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Patricia Walters-Fischer